After experimenting and developing my type I then scanned it into Illustrator where I used the pen tool to draw over the top of my type. I added more lines inside the type because I wanted it to have more of an aged medieval look, this I think looks a lot better and interesting to look at. 





I then wanted to make more of an effect on the type so I tried to draw a drop shadow using the pen tool. Although this looks fairly successful and took far too much time than it should of I found a different way from the internet on creating a drop shadow with lines to give it a more lighter look.


This is the type I created on illustrator. Adding the lined drop shadow I think created a much nicer effect and didn't look too harsh. As I am relating it to medieval it suits what I'm trying to communicate which is home brewed beer that has a sense of history but a modern twist.



I then tried adding colour inside the type. This I thought gave the type more character and life, however I still need to experiment to get the right colours that will communicate the correct message.


I then tried drawing some form of pattern on illustrator. I created a brush that looked like a teardrop but when I used a brush it gave me some nice effects.




After playing around with various shapes I was left wanting to use the square. In my research I looked at where the company are from and their current surroundings.  Turns out their town is at Kitsap County, Washington. The surrounding landscape is mainly forests and mountains which is something I have tried to incorporate into my own work but positions two squares to make a ridge at the top which indicates mountains.




After playing around further I then tried a mock up example onto a bottle to see what it would look like in real life. It's not completely finished but it gave me a good insight in how it will look. I chose the colour navy blue because I thought it had a nice royal, historic feeling about it.








These are my final designs for the company. I'm not completely happy with the outcome but my friends on the course really liked it and thought it was successful, so I think I've just looked at it for too long. After we had to show our work my tutor thought that the one with no colour in the type was the most successful and to consider approaching the company and ask if they would be interested. 

However I still think is room for improvements, I want to put what the bottle actually is (home brewed beer) and maybe the date 2014 to represent the year it was created in. 


Leave a Reply

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blogger news