Developing from my sketches I digitised the hearts and clovers to see what affect I could achieve using a flat vector. I wanted the design to be minimal yet effective throughout and give something the audience to think about. As the designs for Secret 7 can be subtle or obvious I thought trying different ideas would be useful to see what the strengths and weaknesses are. 

As I was struggling to visual my ideas I attempted to draw Etta James face again using the flat vector illustrations. I then tried to combine both ideas and make the concept more stronger and have more of an impact. On one of the top ideas I attempted at adding more depth and texture to the head however this attempt was unsuccessful so I decided to stay with the flat vectors and keeping the colours to a minimal. 
Again I was struggling to bring my concept to life and make it strong to the audience, I attempted to add different flat colours and some with gradients to create more depth and definition to the designs. This again was unsuccessful as the choice of colours I had chosen were too strong and overpowering, as the lyrics in the song were "The skies above are blue, My heart was wrapped up in clover, The night I looked at you" so I tried to represent the lyrics using sky colours, this I believe was too overpowering and did not convey what the song was communicating. I then sought out feedback from my peers to get some advice on what direction to take next.

Feedback:

- Try different layouts with the different illustrations to convey a different message.
- Attempt various other colour themes, maybe something more pop art which is relevant to the era of the song.
- Maybe add texture to bring more depth and definition to the designs.
- Look into design of the 50's/60's and see if that could influence the designs further.

I then started to experiment with different colour variations and layouts to try and strengthen the concept behind the design. However I found that the designs looked too 60's and Andy Warhol-like which was not relevant to the concept or what I was trying to communicate. The colours were visually exciting and energetic which brought more life to the designs however I was still unhappy with the outcome and could not decide what worked best.





I then tried using more subtle natural colours, this was to tone the design down and bring it away from the pop art theme it had. I preferred these colours and felt it had a stronger element to it as it related to the research I found of the colours that were most popular in each decade.






After further experimentation I was still not happy with the development and didn't think the designs were finished or strong enough to submit. 




After playing about with various layouts and colour schemes I finally came to some form of outcome which I felt was the most strongest from my designs. Using simple vector illustrations in the design has helped bring an essence of class and communicates the era of the song. The sweeping orchestra and bold vocals in 'At Last' I felt had to be communicated in a simple yet effective way, the colours contrast with one and another creating almost an abstract element which leaves the audience room for imagination and they can interoperate it however they please. 



Leave a Reply

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blogger news