Here is what I found on the background behind Born Slippy and how it came about to be one of the most iconic trance anthems of the late 90's:

In the Guardian newspaper February 24, 2006, Karl Hyde said: "We used to go out drinking in Soho and I ended up in the Ship on Wardour Street. All the lyrics were written on that night. A drunk sees the world in fragments and I wanted to recreate that. I was inspired by Lou Reed's New York album and Sam Shepard's Motel Chronicles. I was into flash photography as well, so I was walking around Soho with a notebook and camera, just observing things. In those days I'd open the book whenever a musical idea inspired me. Rick [Smith] came up with a rhythm and I started singing over it. The vocals were done in one take. When I lost my place, I'd repeat the same line; that's why it goes, 'lager, lager, lager, lager.' The first time we played it live, people raised their lager cans and I was horrified because I was still deep into alcoholism. It was never meant to be a drinking anthem; it was a cry for help. Now I don't mind. Why Born Slippy? It was a greyhound we won money on."

I gathered that the lead singer wrote the song taking the mick out of the iconic 'lad' that preys on females on a night out. He refers to males as 'boy' to represent the childishness and maturity of the sights you see on a night out with these types of males. The lyrics are short and repeated which suggest the same effects of alcohol and how a drunk may see the world in fragments. It rose to fame when it was featured in Danny Boyle's Trainspotting movie in 1996 however it gained unwanted attention to the lyrics 'lager, lager, lager' which became almost a drunken anthem which is not what the group had intended. Although the film did redress the balance and gave the song resonance. 





The music video for Born Slippy has a very 90's grunge theme going on. This is something to consider however I want to design something more to moden day but still carry that energetic essence the song suggests. Also I want to consider featuring characters or scenes from Trainspotting as people refer the song to that movie the most so it would be most recognisable.


Leave a Reply

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blogger news