- Experiments & Development -



These two scans are the first initial ideas I had when I came to experimenting, I brainstormed different ideas to see how successful and appropriate they were and if they could be developed further. 



In my interim crit I got a lot of feedback. People liked the direction I was going with the experiments however some did not quite understand the concept and idea behind the letterforms. As I only had experiments with three letterforms to represent my partners personality my peers thought it make be too inappropriate to create all 26 letterforms representing each and every element of my partner. I decided then to take more of a subtle approach on my typeface and have more of a broader outlook.







I began by researching into my partners favourite movies and viewing the posters that were used to promote and advertise them. All movies produced a similar block san serif typeface which made a significant bold impact so I thought it would be a useful element to use in my experiments and see what works.



I was also recommended Font-smith for typefaces and after researching the different fonts they had on offer I selected three I thought were most appropriate. I then tried to re-create them myself to see which one was most successful and appropriate for my partners personality. I chose to work with White Space and Easy as I thought they were most successful, White Space was bold, tall and well structured which relates to my characters appearance and character as he is tall and likes structure. The Easy font I thought linked perfectly as he is quite easy going and laid back which the type shows in the soft slight curves.



I began by experimenting with a letterform that had counter spaces and a bowl. I traced and experimented with the B to see what different elements I could manipulate to get the desired effect I wanted. I chose to make subtle changes such as rounding off the corners on the outside and inside of the B as I thought this looked most successful.




I then chose to work with a letterform that contained a crossbar. The T was a perfect example as the crossbar is a main element that makes it an obvious T. I again rounded off the corners of the crossbar to make it look a lot more relaxed which was successful.



I then decided to work with the A and see how I could portray my partners personality through the letterform. I decided the take away the cross bar as through my experimentations I thought it was most successful as symbolising camping which is what my partner enjoys doing. I again rounded off the corners making subtle changes which I thought was appropriate.


Leave a Reply

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blogger news