I had to watch this documentary three times just to get my head around it. Adam Curtis simplifies a very complex situation and makes it easily understandable if you did not know anything about American powers and the relationship they have with Saudi Arabia and Iraq.


It begins with the meeting of President Roosevelt of America and King Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia. As King Abdulaziz wanted to modernise his country like the west, so they formed an alliance. As America were in huge demand for oil,  the primister offered wealth and protection to Saudi Arabia, in return, they got to maintain the oil fields that are there. I took note that the king said “we will take your money, and we will take your technology, but you must leave our faith alone”, I found later in the documentary that the main faith within the heart of Saudi Arabia is Wahhabism. Wahhbism is a puritanical form of Islam, wanting to go back to the original teachings. Those who followed Wahabuism hated modern society and thought the western civilisation was corrupting Islamic beliefs. Therefore America protected Wahhabism through its thirst of Saudi Oil, and in doing do helped sow the seeds of radical Islam today. That pretty much answered my research into what I wanted to find out, the extreme ISIS problem , I wanted to know how and where ISIS had manifested from. However I do not want to focus entirely on ISIS, I want to find out other situations that have been covered up or ignored by goverments and mainstram media. It clear I am opening a can of worms, but to get a good understanding of what is really happening would be beneficial .


Leave a Reply

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Blogger news